Randy Sartin-USA TODAY Sports
We now officially have several pieces of the puzzle to Tennessee’s 2020-21 men’s basketball schedule. Tennessee announced a bulk of the schedule on Friday morning, including the reported multi-team event in Knoxville to kick off the season.
The Volunteers will open against Charlotte, then turn around and play VCU two days later. Tennessee did not announce reported matchups against Gonzaga and Notre Dame, but noted that they are currently being finalized.
Cincinnati, App State, Tennessee Tech and USC Upstate will round out non-conference play ahead of an SEC opener at Missouri.
What we know so far
- Charlotte (Nov. 25)
- VCU (Nov. 27)
- Gonzaga (reported by Rothstein, Dec 2 in Indy)
- at Notre Dame (reported by NDInsider, Dec. 4)
- Cincinnati (Dec. 12)
- Appalachian State (Dec. 15)
- Tennessee Tech (Dec. 19)
- USC Upstate (Dec. 22)
- at Missouri (Dec. 30)
- Missouri will be one of five home-and-home opponents for Tennessee this season. Florida, Kentucky, South Carolina and Vanderbilt are the others.
- Tennessee’s nine announced SEC home games will be in the following order: Alabama, Arkansas, Vanderbilt, Missouri, Mississippi State, Florida, South Carolina, Kentucky and Georgia.
- The SEC has placed an open week in between the final week of the season and the SEC Tournament as a potential way to make up games that get postponed. As we’ve seen with other sports, added flexibility is a must.
- The SEC Tournament is set for March 10-14 in Nashville.
- Selection Sunday will be March 14, and the NCAA Tournament will begin on March 16.
Tennessee appears in the top 15 of just about every unofficial poll to this point, set to return key veterans Yves Pons and John Fulkerson. Josiah-Jordan James and Santiago Vescovi will enter year two under Rick Barnes, while five-star freshmen Jaden Springer and Keon Johnson add legitimate NBA-level talent to the roster. Veteran transfers E.J. Anosike and Victor Bailey Jr. bring even more experience.
It’s almost basketball time in Tennessee, and thank goodness for that.