Welcome to NHL Rumours! Today, our rumour takes an unfortunate turn. While our rumours typically involve trades, free agency, and other aspects of the NHL world, today’s rumour is taking us off the ice. A former star with the Toronto Maple Leafs reveals he and his family were the recipients of threats during his time with the team.
NHL Rumours
Mitch Marner Received Threats in Toronto
Mitch Marner opens up about threats, security concerns while playing for Maple Leafs https://t.co/XZUFza5DIT
— The Athletic NHL (@TheAthleticNHL) August 29, 2025
Rumour: James Mirtle of the Athletic is reporting that Mitch Marner is opening up about harassment he endured during his time with the Maple Leafs. According to Mirtle, Marner had a sit-down interview with TSN, in which he confessed to receiving threats following the Maple Leafs’ elimination from the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Furthermore, Marner said there had been various incidents throughout his time in Toronto.
Analysis: This is very troubling to hear. The Maple Leafs have certainly been snake-bitten by bad luck in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. From losing a 4-1 lead in Game 7 against the Boston Bruins in 2013, to being eliminated from the COVID-19 bubble in 2020, the Leafs seemingly cannot find the next gear in the postseason.
Fan Frustrations
It is natural for fans to be frustrated. Things were certainly looking good for the Maple Leafs. They were up 2-0 on the Florida Panthers after having beat the Ottawa Senators in the first round. The Leafs were so close to the Eastern Conference Final before the wheels fell off the wagon.
However, no one is more frustrated than the players on the ice. Aside from the coaching staff and the members of the front office, there was no one more disappointed to see their season end last year the team wearing the blue jerseys. No fan’s frustration can amount to what a player feels skating off the ice when their season ends.
No Excuse For Threats
The following is a quote from Marner, describing the threats first mentioned by his father over the phone following the Leafs’ 6-1 loss in Game 7.
“(He) goes: ‘I just want to let you know we’ve got people sending us screenshots of a guy posting your address online saying that if people want to come pay us a visit and say, you know, their goodbyes, in a quotation way, here’s the address.’ And it was a little tough, obviously,” Marner said. “I mean, we kind of dealt with it for the last two years in a way. The market’s very passionate. They love the team. I mean, I know it. I was born and raised there. I’ve been a part of the Leafs Nation for a long time. But, yeah, when your family’s safety comes into question, especially having a new son, I don’t think it’s acceptable.”
Marner elaborated that trash has been throw in his yard in the past, as well as additional instances of his address being posted on social media.
There is simply no excuse for that behavior. A fan has every right to be frustrated. But to take it to that level is inexcusable. This kind of behavior desecrates human dignity. Marner is a human first and a hockey player second.
Furthermore, this kind of behavior paints Maple Leaf fans in a bad light. Maple Leaf fans are passionate individuals who are knowledgeable about the game of hockey. The actions of some should not reflect the fan base as a whole, but that happens in situations like this.
New Beginnings in Vegas
Marner said that the harassment was not a deciding factor in the trade-and-sign that sent him to the Vegas Golden Knights. All the same, we hope Marner enjoys his new home in Vegas and does not have to endure any more harassment.
Main Photo: John E. Sokolowski- Imagn Images
The post NHL Rumours: Star Forward Received Threats While Playing in Toronto appeared first on Last Word On Hockey.